- Subject index
The Second Edition of Preventing and Reducing Juvenile Delinquency: A Comprehensive Framework aims to inform students about the latest research and the most promising and effective programs and provides a wealth of information for understanding, preventing and controlling juvenile delinquency. Key Features
- Examines the history of current juvenile justice system policies and practices, including the juvenile violence “epidemic”
- Discusses key myths about juvenile violence and the ability of the juvenile justice system to handle modern-day juvenile delinquents
- Applies developmental theories of juvenile delinquency to understanding how juvenile offender careers evolve
- Reviews effective prevention and rehabilitation programs and what does not work
- Presents a comprehensive framework for building a continuum of effective programs
Intended Audience: This is an ideal supplementary text for undergraduate and graduate courses in juvenile delinquency, juvenile justice, and ...
Part II: The Research Base on Juvenile Offenders and Gangs
This section provides current research on delinquency development in individuals and effective programs for forestalling or preventing delinquency and gang involvement. The chapters in Part II present an overview of juvenile delinquency development from three perspectives. Chapter 4 presents a developmental theory of delinquency and gang involvement, illustrating how the antisocial developmental process can produce both outcomes. Chapter 5 examines juvenile offender careers. The chapter shows the various types of juvenile offender careers that evolve from the delinquent developmental process. Chapter 6 examines youth gangs. This chapter provides an overview of youth gangs beginning with an examination of youth gang trends. The latest research is presented on various aspects of ...