Previous Chapter Chapter 8: “My Inquiry Skills Shot Through the Roof!” Next Chapter
Chapter 8: “My Inquiry Skills Shot Through the Roof!”
Kerry Faber's sixth-grade classroom in Edmonton (Ekota School) is set up in a U-shaped configuration with an open area right in the middle. It is in this magical square that so many adventuresome learning experiences have taken place over the years:
- exploring the continent of Antarctica,
- constructing an aboriginal village,
- re-creating a fur trading fort,
- building a medieval castle, and
- reconstructing—perhaps for the first time in Canada!—a replica of Leonardo da Vinci's ideal city.
This is not your normal classroom, because Kerry Faber is an extraordinary educator who always challenges her students to exceed their own high expectations, to become the developers of their own learning and understanding through a wide variety of projects like those listed above.