At the end of this chapter you will be able to explain:
- What a long-term condition is
- Management and self-management of long-term conditions
- Factors which support self-management, including self-efficacy and social support
- Illness perceptions and their impact on self-management
- Treatment adherence, including unintentional and intentional contributing factors
This chapter will address how healthcare professionals can best support their patients to self-manage their conditions. Tools useful for nurses, midwives and health visitors to support self-management will be described and the evidence for their use discussed. The focus in this chapter will be on the management of long-term conditions, in particular on helping people to follow treatment regimens. How health psychology helps us to help people to make healthy choices in general and to cope with common ...