- Subject index
Family Communication: Nurturing and Control in a Changing World thoroughly reviews the traditional family communication theories of roles theory, family systems theory, and rules theory in an engaging, non-traditional way. This book uniquely organizes the study of family communication around the concepts of nurturing and control in all family relationships, across all family forms, and their relationships to psychological processes and communicative outcomes in families.
Chapter 7: Nurturing Communication in Marital Relationships: Encouraging Closeness, Stability, and Satisfaction Through Communication
Nurturing Communication in Marital Relationships: Encouraging Closeness, Stability, and Satisfaction Through Communication
- Maintaining Closeness in Marital Relationships
- The Communication of Closeness in the Marital Relationship
- Expressions of Affection
- Communication of Support
- Emotional Regulation and Expression
- Sexual Intimacy and Communication
- Factors Related to Marital Satisfaction That May Influence Marital Communication
- Key Terms
- Questions for Application
Given the demands of family life on time and energy (as seen in Chapter 5 on the addition of children to the family), it is not that surprising that self-help books abound regarding the importance of communication to maintain ...