- Subject index
Today is a new metropolitan age and for the first time ever more people live in cities than they do anywhere else. As cities strengthen their international and cultural influence, the global world is acted out most articulately in the world's urban hubs — through its diverse cultures, broad networks and innovative styles of governance. Looking at the city through its internal dynamics, the book examines how governance and cultural policy play out in a national and international framework.
Making a truly global contribution to the literature, editors Isar and Anheier bring together a truly international and highly-respected collection of scholars. In doing so, they skilfully steer debates beyond the city as an economic powerhouse, to cover issues that fully comprehend a city's cultural dynamics and ...
- 1Population Over Time in Different Turkish Cities
- 2International Migrants in Turkey (1990–2010)
- 3Budget Shares – Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (2004–2005)
- 4Number of Implemented Cultural Events and Activities (2005/2009)
- 5Cultural Venues and Institutions (2011)
- 6Sectoral Distribution of Employment in Turkey (2003–2008)
- 7Istanbul Biennial: Foreign and Local Artists or Artist Groups Over Time (2009)
[Page 402]“Our world is shrinking, while cities are expanding into each other, continuously reshaping our (and their) sense of place within a global horizon. As cities compete for relevance they are challenged to claim both situated difference and global connectedness.”
When cities are framed by the concepts of local situation and global links, questions arise concerning image construction, cultural policy making, forms of communication, and exchange on a global scale and in correspondence with existing national ...