• Entry
  • Reader's guide
  • Entries A-Z
  • Subject index

Clinical Trials within U.S.: Traumatic Brain Injury

TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY refers to bram damage caused by an external mechanical force. It is a relatively common event, with 1.5 million people in the United States incurring some sort of head trauma annually. Fortunately, 75 percent of the cases turn out to be mild, with little or no consequences. However, survivors in the remaining 25 percent suffer from moderate to severe functional deficits, which greatly decrease quality of life as well as life expectancy. Although there has been much work dedicated to helping patients with this condition, the complexity of the brain has rendered it extremely difficult to develop a successful regenerative or restorative treatment. Despite over a decade of stem cell research, it is only just recently that the first clinical trial ...

    • Loading...
    locked icon

    Sign in to access this content

    Get a 30 day FREE TRIAL

    • Watch videos from a variety of sources bringing classroom topics to life
    • Read modern, diverse business cases
    • Explore hundreds of books and reference titles